Sunday, October 10, 2010

Some More Cards for MD Anderson

Here are some more cards that I made for the Hope You Can Cling To challenges on Splitcoaststampers -- in honor of Breast Cancer Month.





This card is actually in honor of my brother-in-law Mike, who died of throat cancer about five years ago. The challenge was to use a color denoting a particular kind of cancer. The colors for Head and Neck Cancer are burgundy and ivory.




This card was to be a square card and include at least four more squares. I think I had that covered as soon as I chose the DP for the background.



In addition to making my own flower (which was the challenge), I also made this card for the Speedy's Friends challenge to use stripes.




This card was to show what we might see as we walk. When I walk for exercise, my route takes me around a small lake to a city park and then through the woods. The trees in these woods are mainly pines and cypress -- and there really are eagles' nests in the trees.




And, finally, we were to use something old and something new on a card. The piano sticker has been in my embellishment drawer for about two years, and I bought the brocade embossing folder just this week.

At the end of October, I will send all these cards to M.D. Anderson hospital along with the rest of the challenge cards. I have been touched on more than one occasion by cancer. As I mentioned above, my brother-in-law died about five years ago. His battle with cancer started at the same time as my husband's. My husband Tom died of lung cancer about seven years ago, three months after he was diagnosed. Both my mother and mother-in-law had breast cancer. My mother was much more fortunate than my mother-in-law, who died of the disease. My mother is still plugging along at age 91. She is a 25-year survivor.

1 comment:

Benzi said...

Lois, these are such wonderful cards and for such a worthy cause. You really have been touched by cancer and know the devastation. Good for your mom being a 25 yr. survivor.