Thursday, December 31, 2009

Stampin'B's Challenge #39 - Happy New Year!

As hostess for this week's Stampin'B's Design Team challenge, I decided that in honor of the new year, we should celebrate both OLD and NEW. So my challenge was to use your oldest stamp with your newest tool or embellishment.

Stampin’ Up’s Fishy Friends was the very first stamp set I bought, and I still have a warm spot in my heart for those cute little aquatics. My newest “tool” would be the octagonal nesties. I decided to make a framed project rather than a card. The octopus is stamped on white cardstock and colored with Copic markers. After cutting out the image and the two mat pieces with the nesties, I mounted them on some DP that looks like water. To create a “break” between the turquoise layer and the water, I outlined the octagon with a white gel pen; and to add a little whimsy, I attached the fish charm with a brad. The frame is probably older than the stamp because I found it in a bag of wooden frames that my mom had in her closet when I cleaned it out about six years ago. I spray-painted it and added the half-pearls. Do they look like bubbles? I hope so, because that was the look I was going for! I’m going to give this to a girl in my office who is pregnant. She told me she was decorating the nursery in the theme “Octopus Garden.” I think it will fit right in.

Happy New Year, everyone!
------
Stamp - Fishy Friends
Paper - GP White, Creamy Caramel, Tempting Turquoise, Paper Pizazz DP
Ink - Palette Noir Black
Accessories - Octagonal Nestabilities, Copic markers, White gel pen, Charm, Frame, Half pearls

1 comment:

Marilyn (stampwithMJ) said...

This is so Cute! the half pearls are just the right color and look great with your wonderfully colored image.