Saturday, April 25, 2020

Scor-Pal Pinspired Project - Exploding Box

I've got a project on my blog today that was inspired by another project from the Scor-Pal Pinterest Board -- an Exploding Box from 2006.

When I started my box, I decided that my theme would be a favorite of mine -- a certain boy wizard and his friends.  My box differs from the original in that there are only two layers of explosion rather than three, and also there is a 3-D object on the inside.



To start my project, I scored a piece of 12" x 12" cardstock at 4" and 8" on both sides . . .


. . . and a piece of 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" cardstock at 3 1/2" and 7" on both sides.


I then cut the four corners out of each piece.


I chose some wizard-related patterned paper and cut eight pieces 3 3/4" square and eight pieces 3 1/4" square.  As you can see, the patterns represent all four houses at the magic school.


Scor-tape is attached to the bottom of the center square of the smaller panel, the pieces are glued together, and the patterned paper applied appropriately.




The next step was to make the lids for the two layers.  The larger lid is made from a piece of matching yellow cardstock 6 5/8" square.  The smaller lid is made from a piece of matching dark gray cardstock 6 1/8" square.  I then scored each piece 1 1/4" in from all four sides.


After cutting tabs on all four corners, I added some Scor-tape.


This was done to both the yellow lid and the dark gray lid.

I then stamped and colored the images (4 teachers and 4 students).  I cut them out with a Spellbinders Labels One die with a slightly larger Labels One die for the matting.



Following the video instructions for the Karen Burniston Castle Pop-up, which you can find on her website here, adding the additional trimwork.


After the castle was completed, I attached it to a 3 3/4" square of patterned paper, using the tabs created with one of the dies in the Castle Pop-Up die set.  I then cut a hexagonal piece of the same patterned paper, inserted the free-standing turret, and glue it inside the castle.


As you can see from the photos, the teachers are glued to the first layer of explosion. . .


. . . and the students are glued to the inside layer.





I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and will try to make an Explosion Box yourself.  It was a really fun project.

4 comments:

Flo said...

I just love your projects; goodness, you must be making cards all day long!
TYVM for sharing your talent with us—you are such an inspiration.

Renee E. said...

Love this!!!

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

Such an adorable explosion box with adorable characters and 3D castle!!

Debbie Munkirs said...

Thank you for the directions. I have always wanted to try one of these