Sunday, March 25, 2018

Pinterest-Inspired Z-Fold Box Card

Once a month a member of the Scor-Pal design team looks for inspiration on our Pinterest board and recreates the project to make it her own.  My inspiration this month is a Z Box Fold Card created by Lyndsey on The Craft Blog.  This is her card.


To make my card I used a brand-new stamp set  from Kindred Stamps called Students of Magic.  Kindred Stamps has a large selection of pop culture stamps, including a single stamp called Owl Post, which is perfect for decorating the accompanying envelope.

This is my finished card:


I started my card by stamping and coloring the three young wizards in the stamp set.  After they were colored, I cut them out.



I cut an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of brown cardstock into three panels:

1 piece 4 1/4" x 11"
2 pieces 2 1/8" x 11"

I scored the larger panel and one of the small panels at 2 3/4" and 5 1/2".



I then applied patterned paper (cut 1/4" smaller on both sides) to the various sections of each panel.


On the reverse side of the smaller panel I applied Scor-Tape at each end, as shown in the photo.


I then adhered this smaller panel to the larger panel, slightly above the bottom edge.


The other 2 1/8" x 11" strip of brown cardstock was scored as follows:  7/8", 3 5/8", 4 1/8", 6 7/8", 7 3/8" and 10 1/8".  I adhered panels of patterned paper to the "front" panels of this inner strip . . .



. . . and inserted it into the box.


I then cut an inverted scalloped circle from the same brown cardstock and added Scor-Tape strategically in order to adhere it to the front of the card.


I added a smaller circle of patterned paper and one of the wizards to the front of the circle and adhered the circle to the front of the card.  You can't see it well, but I added some clear glue to his glasses.


I cut two small strips of acetate, attached them to the other two wizards, and placed them "in the box."   Using stamps from a Just Rite set, I made the train platform sign and attached it to the back wall.


The original card had a sentiment on the small panel on the right, but I wanted to add something more appropriate to the scene.  So I Googled some free clip art and found some luggage and a bird cage.  The luggage I printed onto cream cardstock, and the birdcage I printed on a piece of acetate.  I cut them out with scissors.


Notice that I cut out two of the small brown suitcases.  When I adhered them to my card, I added the second brown suitcase with foam dots to make a little 3-D effect.  I stamped the owl from the stamp set, cut him out, and adhered him to the card above the suitcase.  When I adhered the acetate birdcage over the owl so it looks like he's inside the cage, it was a little difficult to see the cage.  So using a Faber Castell XS black pen, I went over the cage lines.  This made the cage a bit more noticeable. 


I then stamped the "Owl Post" image to the lower left-hand corner of my envelope.


And now my project was complete.



Note that the card folds flat to fit inside a standard envelope.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

You did an awesome job. . Love love love all the school work it reminded me of growing up.

Unknown said...

awesome wprk! love this set💜