Friday, June 15, 2012

Train Tunnel Tutorial

Back in April when Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Company, released Train Talk, I made a card for the release blog hop in which I experimented and made a tunnel for my train.  I was surprised when someone asked me to write a tutorial on how I made it.  Today's post on Speedy TV in the Tutorial Time section is my tutorial.  Here's the card I made for it.  It is much like the first one, with some alterations.


Here is how I made that card.

Supplies needed:

Sizzix “Bricked” embossing folder
Spellbinders Petite Oval Nestabilities
Cuttlebug or Big Shot
Cardstock, stamps and ink, as desired


For my tunnel I used MFP, a HC, English Stone cardstock and Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  First cut the cardstock using an appropriate-sized Spellbinders Petite Oval Nestabilities die.

Rub ink onto one side of the embossing folder, being careful to use the “mortar” side, not the “brick” side.



 Place oval in embossing folder and run through your Cuttlebug. 



Cut a smaller petite oval using a yellow piece of cardstock for the “light at the end of the tunnel.”  I usually use Scor-tape to attach pieces of cardstock together when one of them is embossed.



Attach yellow piece to embossed pieced – slightly off-center to give some perspective.

Cut a small black oval, using two Petite Ovals. 




 You will cut this piece to create the “shadow” inside the tunnel.


Construct your tunnel, cutting off the bottom.


Stamp your background scene.  I used several different MFP sets – Train Talk (for the train and the sentiment), A Walk in the Woods (for the large trees), and Scenic Selections (for the small trees and the sprigs of grass).  The sky and ground were sponged using several different Tim Holtz Distress inks.   I stamped, colored and cut out the train.

Construct your card.




Here again is my card.  


Check out some other samples of this technique on Speedy TV.  Here's the direct link to them.

5 comments:

Kathy Bradley said...

Lois,
I had a great time making the tunnel, although I'm not so hot at creating scenes - but this was fun. Your card, as always, is wonderful! TFS.

Janis Lewis said...

This is awesome! What a great idea and a great tutorial! Smiles :) Janis (your new MFPS DT sister)

Joanne (jojot) said...

fab tutorial Lois...good job and fabulous card

Vicky Gould said...

This is one fabulous tutorial, Lois!!! Very, very creative!

Designing with Debbie said...

Great Tutorial Lois. You are so creative.