Wednesday, October 23, 2013

12 Days of Christmas - Faux Mosaic/Stained Glass

Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Company is having a series of challenges to celebrate 12 Days of Christmas.  We're doing it in October so that, if you find something you like, you've got plenty of time to create one or more items between now and Christmas.  Today I am presenting a tutorial for a technique I learned a couple of years ago -- Faux Mosaic/Stained Glass.  It makes a very nice Christmas card -- or perhaps a small picture you could hang on the wall.

This is the card I made for the 12 Days of Christmas:



This technique is basically an Embossing Resist technique, with a little twist.

Supplies needed:

Hand-made mosaic background stamp
Versamark
Clear embossing powder
Heat tool
Black ink (I used Memento Tuxedo Black)

Colored image













Several stamp companies provide their rubber stamps on one big sheet of rubber, and the customer punches or cuts out each individual image.  This leaves lots of excess rubber.  To make the background stamp, take the excess rubber and cut it into smaller pieces.






Glue the small pieces of rubber onto a piece of wood or acrylic block.  My brother-in-law cut two pieces of wood for my sister and me to make our background stamps.  Here is a close-up of the stamp.






STEP ONE

Color your image and cut to size.









STEP TWO

Apply Versamark over the entire background stamp.






STEP THREE

Stamp onto the colored image.  I usually do this upside down so that I can make sure the Versamark is applied on the entire image.







STEP FOUR

Sprinkle the image with Clear Embossing Powder.





This photo shows the entire image covered in embossing powder.  If you look closely, you can see the lines where the embossing powder did not stick.









STEP FIVE

Emboss the image using a heat gun.  When finished, you will see the shiny parts which were covered with the clear embossing powder.






STEP SIX

Here comes the scary part.  Rub the entire image with black ink.

















STEP SEVEN

With a paper towel, wipe off the black ink.  You can see that the sections covered with Versamark and clear embossed are wiping relatively clean, but the black is staying in the lines between the sections.


















Complete your card.









Completed card.  










Thanks for stopping by my blog today, and I hope you want to try this technique.  Be sure to check the MFP Blog tomorrow for another Christmas project.




2 comments:

Lyn said...

Thanks so much for sharing this card is beautiful and very inspiring

nwilliams6 said...

I am definitely going to be saving those little pieces from now on and I am going to try this too! What a very cool card this is - I love the image and the technique. Wow. Hugz!