Friday, May 4, 2012

FRIDAY -- and two challenges

Fridays on Splitcoaststampers have two challenges I like to play.  We get an early invitation for one of them -- the Queen for the Day -- late Thursday afternoon.    I have been a fan of this week's queen for a very long time.  Betty Wright (a/k/a gbedwright) has a wonderful gallery -- full of big bows, fantastic embellishments, and over-the-top creations.  After looking through most of her cards, I chose this card to CASE.  In her description of the card, Betty said she used a paper pad called Lost and Found Christmas, even though her card is a friendship card, not a Christmas card.  So I decided to make a Christmas card.



That church image is one of my favorites from Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Company.  Betty's card had more neutral colors, but I went in the other direction!  I even added one of Betty's signature embellishments, the curly wire!

The second challenge on Fridays could go in any direction the hostess takes it.  And so, it's the Free 4 All challenge.  This morning it was a boy's birthday card.  My three-year-old grandson William loves Thomas the Tank Engine.  So I immediately thought -- TRAINS!


I colored the trains in different colors, but I knew the engine had to be blue.  Thomas is definitely blue!  I thought it would be fun to put the birthday sentiment in the smoke.  I'll have to save this card for William's birthday in September.

Card 1
Stamps:  Mark's Finest Papers - Country Church
Paper:  MFP Fresh Cream, unknown DP
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black; Tim Holtz Distress Tumbled Glass, Scattered Straw, Wild Honey
Accessories:  Copic markers, Spellbinders Labels 7, MS border punch, Ribbon, Wire, Sponge applicators, Spica glitter gel pen

Card 2
Stamps:  Mark's Finest Papers - Train Talk, What a Fox (sentiment)
Paper:  MFP Flecked Dirt, Snow Storm Smooth; DCWV DP
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black  (inkpad and marker)
Accessories:  Copic markers

No comments: