Friday, August 28, 2009

Stampin'B's Challenge #21 - Acetate

I was the challenge hostess for this week’s Stampin’B’s Design Team, and my challenge was to use acetate (clear cardstock) on our cards. I had made a card a couple months ago with an acetate overlay on the front and was so pleased with how it looked that I wanted to do another one.

I stamped the larger lemon topiary tree from Flourishes Life, Love and Lemons set onto white cardstock and colored it with Prismacolor and Copic markers. After I cut it out using the Mega Curved Rectangular Nestabilities, I sponged the white panel with So Saffron ink before removing the die and then mounted it onto the Wild Wasabi panel. I had purchased a package of card bases and envelopes at Michaels, which make cards 5 x 6 ½ inches -- a really good size for many of the Flourishes stamps. Because of the larger size, you can see much of the So Saffron DSP. The clear cardstock overlay is attached at the back (a ¾ inch folded section) with red line tape. The lemon slices are glued to the clear cardstock. It’s difficult to see, but I used Crystal Effects on the lemon juice drops on the slices.
* Stamps - Life, Love and Lemons by Flourishes
* Paper - Flourishes Classic White, Wild Wasabi, So Saffron DSP, Flourishes Clear Cardstock
* Ink - Palette Noir Black, Versafine Black Onyx, So Saffron
* Accessories - Nestabilities, Copic and Prismacolor markers, Clear ep, Crystal Effects, Sponge dauber

I decided to make a second card for this challenge -- this one a bit more whimsical. My sister and I always make Halloween cards for the residents of the assisted living facility where my mom lives -- a total of 90 cards, so we have to start early. This week's video on Stamp TV was to make a shaker card. These are always fun. If you are unfamiliar with shaker cards, be sure to watch Gina K's tutorial.

I cut the frame using my Oval and Scallop Oval nestabilities and taped the acetate on the back of the opening. The sentiment in the frame is from Debbie Mumm's Harvest set, which includes both Halloween and Thanksgiving/Autumn stamps. I filled the opening with orange and dark brown micro beads, and popped on the back. The DP is from a pad of Debbie Mumm paper, which matches the stamps. I love this Hero Arts witch, and I've used her on many Halloween cards. The spider is new -- it's a dollar stamp from Michaels.
* Stamps - Harvest by Debbie Mumm, October by Hero Arts, Michaels $1 stamp
* Paper - Basic Black, Very Vanilla, Debbie Mumm Harvest & Holiday DP, Fourishes Clear Cardstock
* Ink - Palette Noir Black
* Accessories - Nestabilities, Prismacolor and Copic markers, Microbeads, Pop dots
I hope the rest of the team had as much fun with this challenge as I did.


Vicky Gould said...

I love both your cards, Lois. That shaker card is awesome as are you and your sister for thinking of the residents - 90 cards!! You rock. Acetate was difficlt for me, but a really great challenge!!

ButterflyEars said...

Lois, as I said these cards are so awesome. Great job on the challenge each and every week.

Anita said...

Beautiful cards! I like your idea of beads for the shaker card.

Joanne (jojot) said...

love the way you used the acetate on both of these cards...the first is so sweet and the second is rock

Carol Southern said...

They are both great cards again Lois. I haven't made a shaker card in years and they are fun to make.

Etha said...

Love your topiary card!! What a great idea to have the clear extra panel. The way you colored the topiary it almost looks like it is sitting in a shadow box, very neat :)