Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sketch Challenge -- with a Twist

Today's sketch challenge over on Splitcoaststampers was pretty straight-forward.   A card with three panels on the front.  I decided to take it a step further and combine it with a folding technique -- an Easel Card.


I'm still playing around with the new set from Mark's Finest Papers, a Heinrich Company, called Be Wild and Free.  On many of the cards I have made with this set, I've created that orange sky behind the "serengeti" tree (which is actually an acacia tree) -- which is frequently pictured in African photographs.  Using Tim Holtz Distress inks (Scattered Straw, Wild Honey, Dried Marigold, Spiced Marmalade), I sponged a piece of white cardstock and then cut a piece of DP from DCWV's Safari Chic pad for the bottom panel.  Lining up the DP with the "sky," I stamped the tree and animals in Versafine Onyx Black and embossed it with Detail Black embossing powder.  Then I cut the panel into three pieces -- for the layout of the challenge.  The base of the easel is another piece of DP from Safari Chic, and I added the two jumbo brads to hold the easel up.

If you've never made an easel card, they are really lots of fun.  Here's a link to a tutorial on Splitcoast.  Give it a shot!


Thanks for stopping by my blog today.   I hope you come back again soon.  And don't forget, I have a project for the MFP Christmas in July blog hop on Friday.

5 comments:

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

I'm WILD about the wild animal stamps. Like your Easel card. There's a challenge at Made Especially for You Easel Card challenge that you can enter it in. Let them know I sent you.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"

Karen said...

Very nice easel card with the slihouette images. TFS at MEFY.

Alljazzed2create said...

Lovely card. Thanks for joining us over at ME4Y.

Unknown said...

such an eye catching card! thanks for joining us this week at MEFY!

Kristy said...

Great card! Love the scene you created. So peaceful! Thanks for playing along with us over at MEFY! : )

Kristy