Saturday, March 13, 2010

Clowns, Clowns, Clowns

Today I'm posting something a little different. I thought I would explain my screen name -- Clownmom. For many years I have collected clowns -- big and small, glass and cloth. Here are a few of them.

This trio of clowns were made in the look of Lladro -- obviously they are not Lladro, but the muted colors give the same delicate feeling. My late brother-in-law gave them to me.



This court jester was also a gift. A former girlfriend of my son makes porcelain dolls. She is very talented, as you can see. This beauty stands in my living room.



I have worked in the association management business for over 30 years. About 20 years ago, we had a meeting in Sarasota, Florida -- the winter home of Ringling Brothers/Barnam and Bailey circus. The hotel representative gave each of the attendees one of these pewter clowns as a token. When he found out that I collect clowns, he gave me one of each of the designs.



I have several Emmett Kelly figureines. My son gave me this one -- an accountant. As I am a bookkeeper by trade, he thought it was appropriate.



My living room has a cathedral ceiling. My late husband put this shelf over the opening into the dining room. It was the perfect place for several of my "sitting" clowns.


Finally, the photo in the header of my blog is of a clown riding in the basket of a hot-air balloon -- which hangs in my living room. I'm the only person I know who has a hot-air balloon in her living room. I had always wanted to ride in a hot-air balloon; so for my 50th birthday, that's exactly what my late husband gave me. It was wonderful!
Thanks for letting me share another one of my passions with you today.

2 comments:

Jeanne Forsyth said...

Lois this is a wonderful collection! I've never know anyone to collect clowns - how cool. I've always thought a hot air balloon ride would be fun also- Your husband was quite thoughtful~

Benzi said...

Lois, I've been wanting to see your clown collection. How wonderful it is!!!! As I was looking for more salt and pepper shakers, I came upon this. What a very thoughtful gift your husband gave you.